Yoga reduces Asthma attacks

|

According to researchers at the American College of Sports Medicine, yoga can halve the symptoms of asthma after just ten weeks.

A trial was run by placing a group of asthmatics through two yoga sessions a week. They also asked them to practice an additional 30 minutes at home, once per week.

At the end of the trial, the subjects - all yoga novices - reported that the severity and frequency of their symptoms had reduced, while their quality of life had improved by more than 40 per cent.

It's thought that the deep breathing involved in holding yoga postures causes similar respiratory stress as in an asthma attack - as the subjects became used to this, they were better able to deal with their asthma.

Yoga is an excellent way to relieve symptoms because there are no side-effects, unlike modern medicine such as corticosteroids,' said the lead researcher Amy Bidwell.

'For some people, regular yoga could mean they need less medication.'


As a firm advocater of Yoga, I found this study to be quite interesting. After having my first child I had some roundness in my back due to muscle loss in my abdomen and the additional weight of my breasts due to breast feeding. Yoga not only helped with strengthening my body but also opened up my chest and straightened out my back. I was able to breath deeper and my posture improved tremendously.

I can therefore understand how Asthma can be improved by gentle yoga exercise.

Source

1 comments:

Margaret said...

Thanks for posting this recent article. I teach TriYoga and I'm so happy that researchers are finding the benefits of yoga, pranayama, and meditation.

Post a Comment