Health Canada Finds Lead In Children's Jewelry Products


Health Canada has issued an advisory today warning consumers that some children's jewelry products sold in Canada have been found to contain excessively high levels of lead.

CBC reports that two days ago, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission released a similar advisory where toxic cadmium was found in cheap jewelry imported from China. Cadmium, a carcinogen and heavy metal more toxic than lead can cause  harmful effects on the development of children as well as children's behaviour, even at low amounts. Walmart and Claires across North America were found to be selling this low-priced jewelry.
In the AP investigation, 103 pieces of low-priced children's jewelry were tested for cadmium. In 12 of the items, the toxic metal made up at least 10 per cent of the metal components and in some cases, as much as 90 per cent.

Health and consumer agencies in Canada and the U.S. are concerned that cadmium, which is a carcinogen, might be increasingly substituted for lead in inexpensive jewelry.
Health Canada Safety Tips
  • Check your child's jewelry. If you suspect it may contain lead or cadmium, throw it out in your regular household waste.
  • Do not give young children adult jewelry to wear or play with; it may contain lead or cadmium.
  • Do not allow children to suck or chew on any jewelry.
  • If your child has sucked or chewed regularly on jewelry which you think may contain lead or cadmium, ask your doctor to test your child's blood for lead or cadmium.
  • A child who swallows a jewellery item containing lead or cadmium is at high risk of developing serious health effects. Contact an emergency medical service if you believe your child has swallowed an item containing lead or cadmium.
  • Check for product recalls by contacting the retailer, manufacturer or Health Canada.
 You can find descriptions and photos of four jewelry items that have been identified during the routine testing. Please visit Health Canada for more information.



Post a Comment